RIDGE Image and Warning Output to KML/KMZ
While the RIDGE radar display allows for the use of interactive toggles with the image, RIDGE images can be best utilized with GIS software. This page allows you to create "kmz" files which are compressed "kml" files compatible with several GIS software applications. A list of some of the software applications that support KML can be found here.
Visit the NWS website Standards Description Website which explains KML in more detail. With the kmz files below, you can display any of the the National Weather Service RIDGE radar images including polygons. Choose your overlay from any of the following possibilities...
- a single NWS radar image
- by individual radar
- by a statewide composite
- multiple images by individual radar, or
- choose any combination of radars and images.
- Real-time NWS polygon warnings
KML 2.1 and some earth viewing applications support animation of image overlays. We have started supporting animations in experimental mode and would also like to hear from you on it. The KMZ file generator for animations can be found below.
Make your selection from the choices below and click the submit button. That will create a compressed file ending in "kmz". You will be then asked to open or save the file. Selecting "open" will uncompress the file within your default KML/KMZ application.
- If your application supports the <refresh> tag, then:
- the radar images will auto-update every 2 minutes
- warning polygons have a 1 minute refresh
- If you exit your application and save the settings, the KML that you create below will load the next time you start the application without you having to re-create it.